me and my bro.

Monday, April 12, 2010

Adaptation.

Based on the song "Brick" by Ben Folds.  
   Can’t believe it’s only the day after Christmas. What horrible timing. I set my alarm for 6 a.m. and drag myself out of bed. I throw some clothes on in the dark. I’m numb. I head toward the couch where she is curled up. “Gracie, it’s time to go.” I whisper as I gently shake her awake. Her belly is already starting to swell. We’re actually going through with this. I’m feeling more alone than I ever have before. I have no choice. No one knows what we’re doing, where we’re going, or what’s going to happen.
   We get into the freezing car and drive to the dreaded clinic. They call her name at 7:30 and she leaves me alone once again. I can’t stand the silence so I pace around the parking lot wondering if there is some possible way to make this moment more bearable. I decide to buy her flowers. Roses, actually. They’re her favorite. “Gracie.” I cry to myself. “Can’t you see it’s not me you’re dying for?” She must feel so alone then she ever has before. I need to go back to her. She is wheeled into the waiting room. Tears are streaming down both of our faces. Tears of heartbreak, shame, and loneliness. The flowers are dull and worthless. I throw them away and walk up to Gracie. No words are exchanged but then again, none are needed. For a moment, we’re alone as we drive back to her apartment.
   As weeks go by, it’s apparent that she is not fine. Her parents have been calling. They know something is wrong and beg me to tell them the truth. I’m tired of lying. Gracie and I break down and the truth escapes. We messed up. An abortion shouldn’t have even been an option. It’s too late now.
   This is drowning me. She’s alone. I’m alone. Now I know it.

9 comments:

  1. Dang this was amazing. I can picture everything your saying and can actually feel the emotion in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The emotion in this story was detailed and you can feel the pain of the father and mother in the story. It could have been longer. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a great writer! I love how much detail you put into this story. I can see everything that is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely Heart breaking! I don't think I've ever heard this song before. I like how you really had emotion. It could've been a little more detailed, there were parts I was confused about. Great job all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed that you stuck with the song very closely, but added more details to make it yours.

    I really like the details you added, like "her belly is already starting to swell" and at the end when they tell her parents. I think it adds a lot of emotion to the story and also makes the abortion clearer to the reader.

    However, I wish you explained more about the line "Can't you see it's not me you're dying for?" Did he want her to have the abortion? At the beginning it spunds like he does, but then this line makes me think that she's the one who wants it.

    This is such a sad story, bur really well written. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. blip bloop, I like the way you've used a bunch of short sentences but still manage to make it tell the story in a very real-feeling way

    also, good use of repetition, what with the theme of being alone all over

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dale. Buddy.
    I enjoyed this piece of writing. I felt very close to the emotions. It left me in suspense, wondering what exactly was going on. This is a story that made me feel several different emotions for that couple. I love the fact that it kept me reading on and on. Great Job pal.
    Papa Burgundy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job. This is a fantastic song to adapt and I think you capture the tone nicely. It's a beautiful song, but very sad. The beginning is ambiguous, which is good. The fact that they're having an abortion isn't clear until the end.

    Also, I like how you decided to name the girlfriend Gracie. Isn't that Ben Folds's daughter's name? Nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good song and I like how you adapted it. I like how in the actual song it never comes out and says that the girl is pregnant so you just have to interpret it and i think you did a good job

    ReplyDelete